Monday, January 28, 2008

A Few Of My Favorite Things


I apologize, dear readers, for my slackin' on the blog posts. I started a new company in January and am in the midst of helping three client companies launch products. Yikes. But a belated Christmas gift from by brother and sister-in-law, Dennis & Jan, inspired me to reflect on permutations of the corkscrew.
Of the oft debated wine related topics (screw cap vs. cork, stem or no stem glass) the search for the perfect corkscrew is a never ending journey.
My personal favorites fall into three categories: Old Faithful, Euro Picnic and High Tech.
1. Old Faithful: Yeah, I know the auger on this relic is too big for fragile corks but, dadgummit, this old pal has hardly ever had a problem performing the duties for which it was designed.
2. I call this one my "French Esprit d'Corps" knife. The French answer to the Swiss Army. Not only a corkscrew, knife, bottle opener, but the handle separates so you have a usable knife and fork set.













3. My belated high tech Christmas gift. This Oster rechargeable corkscrew works really well (it doesn't like plastic corks, but who does) and comes with a good foil cutter. You just set it atop a fine bottle of wine and push the "down" arrow. It whirls into action driving the auger into the cork, reversing direction and removing said cork. Task completed, you hit the "up" button and Mister Oster presents the cork to you like R2D2 with sommellier training. No, the foil cutter doesn't require recharging.

Do you have a favorite or really interesting corkscrew? Send me a pic and a story.

No comments: